The Citizen Difference – We are Not a Gym
When people ask what Citizen Pilates is, I tell them we are a full-body, strength training studio for anyone looking for a long term relationship with fitness.
“Oh, so you’re a gym,” they reply.
Queue the long silence.
The thing is, Citizen Pilates is NOT a gym.
We are so much more. We’re a community. A collective where everyone is welcome. No matter what language you speak, no matter your culture, or body type, or fitness goals, you are not only welcome here but also supported, celebrated, and a part of something bigger.
There are so many things that set us apart from a gym:
- A studio built to help you find the strongest version of yourself, inside and out
- We are a team. Your instructors are 100% dedicated to Citizen, and they don’t teach anywhere else. We hire for cultural fit, rather than a checklist of looks and achievements
- We are focused on consistency, community, and your individual fitness goals
- We take the time to get to know you and what your specific goals are– and we know everyone has different goals.
- Accepts clients where they are, wherever they are. A body positive studio that believes healthy looks different on everyone
- We take the time to get to know you and what your specific goals are– and we know everyone has different goals.Our leadership, staff, and clients all have a real working and fun relationship. When you walk into Citizen, you are called by name. Even if it’s your first class!
Big Box Gym Pilates
- A fitness jungle with blaring music and a stereotypical version of “beauty and health”
- Instructors come and go, no consistency or long term reliability. “Good on paper” instructors have the right resumes, but don’t connect with clients.
- Focused on numbers, sales goals, and a one size fits all Instagramable- body
- Thinks everyone’s goal is (or should be) to lose more weight
- A body competitive environment where long and lean reigns supreme
- Little to no community amongst staff. Feels like staff and instructors are just there for the paycheck
At a gym, really, you go simply to workout, burn some calories, maybe meet a fitness goal or two. And it’s not that people DON’T come to do those things at Citizen, it’s just that we are about more than the physical workout. At our studio, our whole goal is for you to find the strongest version of yourself. The physical part is there of course–Pilates is awesome for your body–but that is secondary.
What we really want is for you to be able to lean in, walk tall, and feel better about yourself – not get your body to failure. Who says that?
Our studio is your happy place: a place you go not to punish your body but to take care of yourself. It’s a place where people who are fit, people who have just had a baby, and people who have never worked out a day in their lives all come together side by side to find–and be–the best versions of themselves. The people you workout next to here will become your friends, and the studio your community. It’s a far cry from a gym, and we love it that way.